Mixed Reality, Software Lead
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Redefining computing relies on us creating products and software that seamlessly merge virtual, mixed and traditional reality while designing and developing completely new ways of interaction.
You will be responsible for leading our Mixed Reality software development effort. You will work with our computer vision engineers, technology partners, designers and HW engineers to distil the right development plan and keep the train rolling. At the same time you will work with a team of engineers to solve the engineering challenges and preferably get your own hands dirty by writing code yourself. You should be passionate about both developing software and building the right mixed reality features and product.
You are a creative and innovative problem solver and a team player who thrives in a dynamic startup environment. You have a focus for getting a product built and shipped. We hope this is not the first time you lead a project that ships something complex.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support. If you're based somewhere else, we will gladly help relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of one of the world's happiest, cleanest and safest countries as smooth as possible.
- Be accountable for our Mixed Reality software plan and keep the backlog in order on a day-to-day basis. Find the right order and balance between solving hard issues and creating new features while we improve quality.
- Work not only with all our internal stakeholders but also our technology partners across the industry to create Varjo's Mixed Reality stack and solve fundamental mixed reality challenges.
- Optimally sit down and code when necessary and possible. Either contribute to solving smaller technical issues or even do something large and complex.
- Influence across the Varjo team to make the right HW, SW, algorithm and product choices that result in us shipping world-leading mixed reality products.
- Multiple years of experience in software development, preferably as a developer. Proven record of writing high quality C/C++.
- History and interest in leading software development. Skills and tools to think about priorities, focus and plan slightly ahead of others.
- Experience of working and preferably leading iterative development. This can mean lean, Scrum, Kanban or any other flavour. The key thing is that you believe in iterative development and can lead it.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics) or equivalent expertise preferred.
- Preferably experience of CV algorithms in one way or another. This could be development background or just working closely with MR products.
- Knack to find creative and innovative solutions and the persistence to polish them to perfection.
- Team player, ability to perform in cross functional teams and to share knowledge to others.
- Good communication skills in English.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects – wow us.
If you know people who are already working at Varjo, feel free to mention their names in your message.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.