Get to know the new VR/XR software features in Varjo Base 3.1
Varjo is on a mission to transform the way professionals work, create, and experience reality. The latest 3.1 release of our software, Varjo Base, has advanced virtual and mixed reality features to enable our professional customers to succeed and perform better in immersive environments.
What’s new in Varjo Base 3.1?
We are proud to release the new, 3.1 version of Varjo Base – the companion software needed to run and manage Varjo headsets on your PC. The latest release allows you to use our next-generation headsets, Varjo XR-3 and VR-3, which have recently started shipping. In addition, Varjo Base 3.1 includes some new and exciting features:
- Mixed Reality for OpenVR applications through Alpha Channel support
- Support for OpenXR applications
- Ability to adjust render resolution with OpenVR and OpenXR
- Firmware auto-update for Varjo VR-3 and XR-3 headsets
- Quality and performance improvements for Ultraleap hand tracking, mixed reality hand occlusion, Varjo inside-out tracking (beta), Varjo Markers, eye tracking, automatic IPD, and video pass-through image quality
See the full release notes, or take a closer look at some of the new features below.
Mixed Reality enhancement for OpenVR applications
- This functionality gives OpenVR application developers an easy way to test and implement mixed reality capabilities. By enabling Mixed Reality for OpenVR from Varjo Base, you can set the Alpha Channel used by the application to show a video-pass-through feed.
- Note that not all OpenVR applications use Alpha Channel, and for some applications, the effect might affect the usability of the application.
- The application shown in the video is the latest release of KeyVR that has support for Alpha Channel – making it fully XR compatible.
Improved Ultraleap hand tracking
- Hand occlusion segmentation has been greatly improved for more realistic mixing of the virtual content and the user’s hands.
The Ultraleap Gemini hand tracking solution comes fully integrated into the Varjo XR-3 and VR-3 headsets and enables the creation of XR enterprise applications that:
- Are more approachable, easier to learn, and lower friction (particularly for users with little or no experience of hand-held controllers)
- Deepen the realism of complex simulations
- Improve communication, trust, and social cohesion by enabling more lifelike avatars
Adjust render resolution for OpenVR and OpenXR applications
- Varjo Base now hosts a separate selection for adjusting render resolution for cases where more performance is needed.
- While you can also adjust the resolution of OpeVR applications in SteamVR, we recommend that you use the resolution settings in Varjo Base.
- You can also toggle OpenVR and OpenXR compatibility modes.
Let us know what you think
We introduce new software features and improvements based on feedback from our customers, and we’d like to concentrate on the features that matter the most to our users. So, after giving the new Varjo Base a try, get in touch with us and tell us what you think. We warmly welcome all feedback and improvement suggestions.