Principal Optical Engineer
Traditionally displays have been displays and cameras have been cameras, but to get the best out of mixed reality, we need to blur the lines between optics, electronics and software.
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Traditionally displays have been displays and cameras have been cameras, but to get the best out of mixed reality, we need to blur the lines between optics, electronics and software. We here in Varjo innovate at the forefront of all of these domains simultaneously to stretch the limits of what people believe is possible.
Your mission is to enhance our optics team with your expertise in optical system design and particularly knowledge about the manufacturing and assembling complex optics system. You will work in close co-operation with display engineers, graphics and computer vision specialists, HW engineers and mechanics designers to achieve a seamlessly operating system. You will participate in the development of leading edge optical path to a mixed reality system that so far has no match in the industry: from a camera to an eye.
We are seeking a creative and innovative problem solver who can work with variety of different cultures and engineering and non-engineering arts. For us it is essential that you have previous experience about the manufacturing of optical components and assembling them in mass production. Knowledge about the supply chain and a large portfolio of potential suppliers is a big plus.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland.
- Optics system design
- Optics component materials selection
- Durability and lifetime analysis
- Driving manufacturability and assembly development with manufacturing partner
- Specifying optical system tolerancing and quality parameters from individual optical parts to optical assemblies
- Support for supply chain in choosing correct partners and technology providers
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area or equivalent expertise
- Experience of hands-on lens design using Zemax
- Experience of optical system design of camera lenses or other comparable, complex optical systems
- Experience of bringing optical systems to mass production
- Team player, ability to share knowledge with others and achieve results as a team
- Capability to effectively work with multiple simultaneous projects
- Good communication skills in English
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
To apply for the role, email email@example.com with the subject: PRINCIPAL OPTICAL ENGINEER. Include your CV / link to your LinkedIn profile and work samples you are especially proud of. If you know people already working at Varjo, feel free to mention their names in your message.
Candidates with any suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects - wow us!
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to namedrop names.
Please include URLs for an online portfolio in addition to resume. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.