Senior Rendering Algorithm Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality. We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Job descriptionFulfilling our vision of immersive computing relies on us creating products that deliver immersive visual fidelity and performance never seen before. In reality, it means we will be working a lot with various new rendering algorithms and optimization of existing implementations.
Our developers, designers, and HW engineers are world-class in what they do, and we want you to aim for the same level.
Your previous experience can be from offline or real-time rendering industry. You are a great fit if you have worked on any areas that combine rendering theory (math and algorithms) with real implementations.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, but you are free to work remotely as much as you want. This can be a few days a week or 100% remote. We support you in being productive in the way that is best suited for you. However, in this role you likely have to visit the office every now and then, as visual issues are often hard to convey remotely and might be hardware-dependent.
If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Algorithm research and development for various rendering problems, including foveated rendering and foveated image transport, frame synthesis, and other unique rendering challenges.
- Take part into design process of new hardware, and provide your valuable input for decisions that might affect visual quality of our products.
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Strong experience with C/C++ and/or Python. The former is used for the real-time compositor, and the latter for various tools and research projects. Multiple years of experience with either language.
- Experience with writing shaders in any shading language.
- Proven skills of shipping graphics/rendering pipeline code in either graphics heavy R&D such as game engine development or offline rendering
- Excellent understanding of rendering-related math (such as linear algebra)
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics) is preferred.
- Deep understanding of GPU architectures.
- Experience with low-level graphics APIs such as DX12 and Vulkan.
- Experience with working on VR and/or AR.
- Experience with wide-gamut and HDR displays.
- Basic understanding of optics, display technologies, and human perception.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects – wow us.
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to drop their names in your message.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply. Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we would love to hear from you.