Senior Visual Designer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Our Senior Visual Designers lead the creation of the visuals that our users will see.
You will work closely with our team of designers, hardware and software engineers to create innovative and compelling content, crafting the future of VR and MR user experiences.
You are the rare breed of person that has both the visual sense for great style, design and usability and the technical skills to create compelling 2d/3d content and experiences from scratch.
You are curious and love experimenting, creating and sharing many ideas rapidly, and iterating and improving on your work based on user feedback. You have experience working with real time graphical engines like Unity or Unreal Engine. You know the design rules but are not afraid to break them when necessary. Your creations feel energetic, responsive and alive.
You are a creative and innovative problem solver and team player who thrives in a dynamic startup environment.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland.
- Working hands-on, creating 2d and 3d graphics, materials, user interface, visual design and motion design solutions from concept to final implementation
- Deliver pixel perfect hi-fidelity designs to front end development and supporting the software team so that they can do their work successfully
- Creating new and optimizing existing high quality assets so that they run in realtime with optimal performance
- Work inside Unity and Unreal Engine to create 3d environments as well as assembling content from existing assets
- Exploring concepts, technical solutions and user experience alternatives, creating quick sketches and prototypes of your ideas
- Supporting other areas of business by creating graphical content and assets
- 5+ years of relevant professional and creative experience with a proven track record of shipped and successful projects (for example game projects)
- Strong 3d modelling, texturing, texture mapping and UV mapping skills - your work needs to wow people
- Proficiency with 3D modeling and art software, such as Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop and Substance
- Experience creating content, interactions and prototypes inside Unity and/or Unreal Engine
- An eye for design, typography, motion graphics, color theory, a sense of style and polish, a refined taste – you know what is both functional and what looks good
- Creative thinking ability to resolve technical challenges and limitations
- Ability to think, design, prototype and express your ideas in 3D
- BA/BS/MSc degree in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial) HCI, CS, or a related field, or equivalent practical work experience
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects
- Good communication skills in English
- Previous experience of working in VR or MR is a plus
- Previous experience in UX design is a plus
- Technical proficiency in computer graphic areas such as realtime lighting, rendering, PBR texturing and graphical shader creation is a plus
- Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in VR and MR experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary plan
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects - wow us!
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to namedrop names.
Please include URLs for an online portfolio in addition to resume. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.