Senior Visual Designer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Our Senior Visual Designers are in charge of creating every piece of content that our users will see.
You are the rare breed of a person that has both the visual sense for great style, design, and usability, and the necessary skills to create and deliver the vision. Your creations feel energetic, responsive, and alive.
You are curious and love experimenting, creating, and sharing ideas rapidly, and iterating and improving on your work based on user feedback. You know the design rules but are not afraid to break them when necessary. You are passionate to explore what works and what doesn't within the possibilities of the next computing paradigm we are creating.
In your daily work you will have a strong contribution to Varjo’s visual digital identity, creating the pixel-perfect layouts, templates, and visual assets across Varjo user interfaces in Windows desktop, web, and mixed reality. You will help visualizing design vision and UX concepts with storyboards, sketches, and quick click-through prototypes. You will also design and deliver illustrations and infographics to be used in our end-user documentation and customer messages.
You will work closely with our team of designers and researchers, hardware and software engineers, and product owners to create innovative and compelling content, crafting the future of mixed reality and virtual reality user experiences.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support. We are also open to discuss remote working arrangements.
- Create the visual design – including detailed layouts, illustrations, icons, and other assets – for Varjo’s software and tools across Windows desktop applications, web, and mixed reality from concept to production.
- Develop and maintain Varjo’s visual digital identity and UI style across Varjo user interfaces. Work towards creating a consistent visual design system for Varjo, keeping an eye out for consistency.
- Explore concepts, solutions, and user experience alternatives, create quick sketches and prototypes of your ideas.
- Present your ideas to your peers and stakeholders, gathering feedback and iterating the design further.
- Work with the software teams to make sure that the designs work in their planned context and are implemented to the highest quality.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional and creative experience with a proven track record of shipped and successful projects.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Information Science, or a related field.
- Proficiency with Adobe XD, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and other relevant industry standard software in Windows environment.
- Experience in designing application layouts for Windows applications and web. Knowledge of standard user interface patterns for major UX platforms, and best practices in responsive web design.
- Experience in design systems, icon design, and component libraries.
- Skills in visualizing design thinking and UX concepts in forms of illustrations, storyboards, and infographics.
- Familiarity with virtual and mixed reality, 3D graphics, prototyping, transitions, and motion design is considered a plus but not a requirement.
- An eye for design, typography, color theory, a sense of style and polish, a refined taste – you know what is both functional and what looks good.
- Creative thinking to work around technical challenges and limitations of new technology.
- Collaboration skills and flexibility to work as a team both in face-to-face and various remote team setups.
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects.
- Language requirements: Our daily working language is English – you should be fluent and confident in expressing yourself in English both in writing and spoken. Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory.
- Opportunity to take part in creating the new state of art in virtual reality and mixed reality experiences.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country.
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits.
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki.
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
Please include a portfolio showcasing work you are especially proud of, with details on what you did in those projects. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training, and experience are encouraged to apply.