Camera HW Lead Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We are always looking for people who want to change the world and work to solve the hardest problems. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Redefining computing relies on us creating products and software that seamlessly merge virtual, mixed and traditional reality while designing and developing completely new ways of using cameras, complex imaging pipelines and unique algorithms to create that illusion.
As our Camera HW lead engineer, you will be responsible for our camera development as part of the larger product effort. You will work as a core part of the product program and daily spend time with HW engineers, computer vision engineers, quality engineers and other key rolls that are involved in shipping a successful camera system. As we go from the early phases of product definition to shipping in mass production, your role will evolve from understanding that we have made the right choices, to taking accountability that our development is on track.
As an individual you bring with you a strong background in camera technologies and a hands-on systematic approach to how camera based products can be delivered on time and with quality. You like solving problems and are at the same time able to systematically think of what is required to succeed with our overall plan. You have a focus for getting a product built and shipped, while also creating a well working team and operative approach. You are ready to say no when needed and even expose the ugly facts when things might go sour. We hope this is not the first time you lead a project and people that ship something complex together.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support. If you're based somewhere else, we will gladly help relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of one of the world's happiest, cleanest and safest countries as smooth as possible.
- Lead camera HW development from product start to shipment and maintenance.
- Take accountability for our delivery of camera HW relative to the quality and schedule targets we have set
- Own the process of ensuring camera quality across R&D and production, strive to improve our approach daily
- Communicate status of development to internal stakeholders through simple to understand reporting and key KPI's
- Manage and work with suppliers when necessary for our product delivery.
- Technical background with key HW camera technologies and concepts. Capable of working as internal specialist in this area.
- Proven track record of being involved in camera based products and successfully shipping to customers.
- Track record of working in an environment with supplier and contractor management.
- Experience of mass production and the complexity that comes with factory and production setups.
- Overall experience of HW development. Knowledge of key concepts to design and deliver quality HW.
- Experience of working and preferably leading iterative development. This can mean lean, Scrum, Kanban or any other flavour. The key thing is that you believe in iterative development and can lead it.
- Team player, ability to perform in cross functional teams and to share knowledge to others.
- Good communication skills in English.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with colleagues that aspire to do world changing things.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.