Senior Visual Pipeline Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality. We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
We are looking for someone who would enjoy spending their days creating and improving on visual algorithms that make each pixel appear as they should on Varjo products, helping us redefine reality and ship products with immersive visual fidelity as never seen before. You will be joining our engineering team focused on the end-to-end visual quality to make this reality.
Our developers, designers, and HW engineers are world-class in what they do, and we want you to aim for the same level.
Your previous experience can be from offline or real-time rendering industry where you have worked on color-accurate rendering and realistic visual reproduction, or from systems rendering engineering side, having worked on color- or rendering-related topics.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support. If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Algorithm development for accurate colour reproduction, distortion correction, and foveated rendering for our products are some things you could do with us. This includes both calibration algorithms that are run at the factory, and the real-time part that uses the calibration data to do the necessary corrections.
- Take part into design process of new hardware, and provide your valuable input for decisions that might affect visual quality of our products. Understand the whole process of how visuals are produced from displays through optics to human eye.
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Strong experience with C/C++ and Python. The former is used for the real-time compositor, and the latter for various calibration and data analysis tools. Multiple years of experience with either language.
- Experience with writing shaders in any shading language.
- Proven skills of shipping graphics/rendering pipeline code in either graphics heavy R&D such as game engine development, offline rendering, or consumer electronics products (system side engineering).
- You have strong 3D math and graphics skills, and you like tinkering with both.
- You have good understanding of colour theory and human perception.
The ideal candidate will also tick at least a few boxes from the following list:
- Experience with DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan.
- Experience with working on VR and/or AR.
- Experience with camera setups related to device calibration.
- Experience with wide-gamut and HDR displays.
- Basic understanding of optics and display technologies.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.