Junior UX Reseacher
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
To take full advantage of what our next generation virtual reality and mixed reality devices are capable of, we need to solve a whole new set of user experience challenges: how to design for the oncoming immersive computing paradigm, how to make things easier, more enjoyable and more productive than before. Our plans on this area are ambitious.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
You will join our Design team as Junior UX Researcher. You will work closely with our designers, engineers and product managers to carry out user research for our hardware and software products. Your research will help the whole company to learn from the end users and utilize the learnings in solving key challenges in design, user experience and technology, making the next generation of computing accessible to all.
You are a team player who thrives in a dynamic startup environment. You have an analytical mindset, and you are flexible in trying different research methods to evaluate and test the designs and early ideas. You get energized from working with people, and you will be at ease in hands-on research work, interviewing people, organizing research studies and workshops.
The position and responsibilities can be tailored based on your interests and prior experience. You may already have a few years of working experience in the field of UX research and design, or maybe you are just taking the first steps on your professional career. You will work full-time, or if separately agreed, the working times can be adjusted to allow finishing your studies on the side.
Your workplace will be in central Helsinki, Finland.
- Organize user research studies to inform product design, including but not limited to: lab usability studies and evaluations, ergonomics tests and evaluations, interviews, workshops, and surveys.
- Work as Lab Master, maintaining our usability test lab facilities and equipment.
- Document and deliver actionable research findings on time and with quality.
- Present recommendations and your point of view based on research and analysis.
- Work with the research lead to identify and address critical usability issues.
- Work alongside our R&D organization, influencing decisions relating to what kind of hardware and software features should be built into our future products
- Learn the possibilities and limitations created in virtual and mixed reality, and the human factors associated with them: make people feel good, don't make them feel sick.
- Minimum of 1–3 years of experience in UX research and interaction design.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree (or finalizing your studies) in the field of Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Information Science, or related field with an emphasis on user experience or interaction design; or equivalent practical work experience
- Good knowledge of qualitative research methods and hands-on experience in using them
- Understanding of human factors and ergonomics, and ability to consider them as essential part of user experience of wearable devices
- Good communication skills, verbal and written
- Language skills: fluent Finnish is a mandatory requirement. The role includes conducting interviews and user testing in Finnish language. Varjo company language is English, and you will need to master both languages to succeed in your role.
- Excellent inter-personal and collaboration skills
- Ability to move beyond data, getting to valuable insights, and effectively collaborating with product teams to implement research-backed, measurable product improvements
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Curiosity and capability to work with new technologies
- Experience of using the Windows operating system, and capability to operate typical lab equipment such as PCs, monitors, audio and video equipment
- Prior experience of using VR or MR devices is an advantage.
- Experience of quantitative research methods, or marketing research is a plus.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in mixed reality experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best – the coolest team in Finland
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located in the downtown Helsinki
If you feel you recognized yourself from the job description, please send us your application, CV and a link to your portfolio online. Show the work you are especially proud of and tell us what you did in those projects – wow us! Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
For additional questions about this role, contact Petteri through LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/ptuomimaa/
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.