Software Release and Integration Lead
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We are always looking for people who want to change the world and work to solve the hardest problems. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Redefining how we think about and experience computers in the future is quite a journey in software creation. One of the pillars of software creation is actually building, testing and shipping a release to customers. Making high quality releases is always a complex effort that involves both science but also art.
Your job will be to lead our release activities across all software development efforts. This means looking after both our integration plan for a specific release but also daily guiding the effort to get code to mainline, stay on top of the phases of testing and keeping the release boat afloat. In a fast moving and dynamic engineering effort this is quite a chore. You will steer the release through a data and detail driven focus on test and integration facts while working with and coaching various teams on how they should bring their code and features to mainline. At the same time you will be the horn of reality on where we really stand with the status and test phases of our release building. Through out the process of building a release you will work to hunt after blocking bugs that slow us down and ultimately help us all understand what we must fix and what we can live with. When successful, we ship releases on time and with high quality to our customers.
As a person you bring a factual, shipping-products-focused mindset to the team, along with your experience of working with different releasing and test activities during your career. It does not hurt if you have written some lines of code in your past. Our developers are a collection of world-class talent, and we want you to aim for the same level.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support.
- Day by day be on top of our integration and release effort. Orchestra what goes in, what is missing, quality of integrations is high and teams know the state of the release.
- Work with your colleagues to build the integration plan of a release and help teams plan testing and validation efforts.
- Be accountable for our releasing cycle and keep focus on our daily and weekly releases progressing as they should. Use testing and integration facts to guide others.
- Take a hands on and coaching driven approach to working with various teams to improve the way they work to improve how we build releases.
- Ensure that what we release to partners and customers actually works – or at least we know how and why it doesn't work.
- Drive a culture of quality software creation and data-centric thinking where continuous integration and testing ease the everyday life of our development teams and create a working rhythm where we always have something that works.
- Create new and scalable ways of testing the computers of the future.
- Multiple years of experience in release/build management, development or test roles. Proof of successfully leading activities at the right scale.
- Have a good grasp of complexities in creating software on the Varjo scale and in an environment that includes SW and HW tied together.
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the test approaches we take. It can be manual, automated, telemetry or user-based testing.
- Capable of leading yourself but also leading others. You don't necessary have to have previous leadership experience, but you have to have the right characteristics for such a role.
- Track record of shipping products and being a key individual in the integration and test effort.
- Interest and passion for doing things differently and challenging yourself and others to think of new ways to solve problems.
- Good communication skills in English.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.