Senior Unreal Engine Developer, Computing Platform
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Redefining computing with seamlessly merging virtual, mixed and traditional reality takes us on a path of solving unique design and engineering challenges in areas such as rendering, interactions, 3D graphics engines and windowing.
You will be working as part of our core engineering team focused on building the Varjo XR software stack. In your role you will be accountable for bridging the capabilities of our HMD and tooling with the Unreal Engine and working on the pipeline, architecture, tools and visual perfection we deliver with our immersive computing platform. As part of the work, you are bound to go deep into the source code and behaviour of the Unreal Engine itself and make relevant changes to make it suitable for our needs. To be the right person for this role, you must have expertise in working with the internals and source code of Unreal Engine (or another 3D game engine) and a passion for crafting the fundamentals for graphics-intensive experiences.
Our developers, designers and HW engineers are world-class in what they do, and we want you to aim for the same level.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support. If you're currently based somewhere else, we will gladly help with relocating to the capital of the world's happiest country.
- Work with our integration to the Unreal Engine and modify the engine when needed to build solutions to Varjo-unique engineering and design challenges. Requires you to be comfortable or become comfortable with the Unreal Engine.
- Work on our immersive computing platform where we heavily rely on the internals of Unreal and graphics stack of Windows.
- Take accountability for solutions that are modular and testable. Have pride for building unit and regression testing to prove that your code and solutions truly work.
- Debug, optimize and aspire to make things pixel perfect. Be willing to spend time in truly making things amazing, not just great.
- Work as our resident Unreal Engine expert. You will have a lot of people wanting to talk to you.
- Have fun while working on hard problems.
- Fluent in C/C++ and proven history of writing awesome code which is modular, testable, maintainable and well documented
- Deep expertise in either the internals of Unreal Engine itself or a similar smaller engine that you have worked on or built yourself.
- Track record of working on graphics-intensive and performance-critical projects in the 3D space. This can be gaming or any other similar background. We are not picky in how you learned to be great.
- Knack to find creative and innovative solutions and the persistence to polish them to perfection.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics) is preferred.
- Capable of working closely with our different graphics, computer vision, and product engineering teams to create the right tools. We strongly believe in setting teams for success with cross-functional efforts.
- Previous working experience with VR/AR is a plus but not must.
- Good communication skills in English.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join our journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
This position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.