Senior UX designer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
To take full advantage of what our next generation VR and MR devices can be capable of doing, we need to solve a whole new set of user experience challenges: how to design for the oncoming immersive computing paradigm, how to make our users to be more productive and capable than what they are right now. Our plans on this area are ambitious.
You will work closely with our team of designers, hardware and software engineers solving key design, user experience and technical challenges, making the next generation of computing available to all.
You are excited about the possibilities what can be done in the future and can't wait to get your hands on designing these experiences. You are also curious and love experimenting, creating and sharing many ideas rapidly, discussing the merits of various design alternatives, and iterating and improving on your work based on user feedback. You ideally already have some experience in designing for environments other than the flat 2d world. You are familiar with how things have been done previously and have ideas on how things should be done.
You're a creative and innovative problem solver and team player who thrives in a dynamic startup environment.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland.
- Delivering innovative concepts and user experience alternatives
- Creating quickly appropriate levels of documentation to communicate design intent: not too much, not too little
- Doing sketches, prototypes and user flows of your ideas
- Understanding user needs and solving them through creating elegant user experience designs
- Working with software developers in ensuring that the implemented design works as well as possible
- Share and communicate design intent to other teams and stakeholders
- Iterating and constantly improving your designs based on feedback - have passion to handle designs up to completion and shipping
- Learn the possibilities and limitations created in VR and MR and the human factors associated with them and design accordingly: make people feel good, don't make them feel sick
- Work alongside our R&D organization, influencing decisions relating what kind of hardware and software features should be built into our future devices to enable great experiences
- 6+ years of relevant professional and creative experience with a proven track record of shipped and successful complex projects
- BA/BS/MSc degree in Design (e.g., interaction, product), HCI, CS, or a related field, or equivalent practical work experience
- Experience with applying and utilizing user interface patterns used in current major UI platforms (Windows, iOS, Android)
- Knowledge of UX, service design and qualitative and quantitative user testing methods
- Creative thinking ability to resolve technical challenges and limitations
- Curiosity and capability to work with new technologies
- Quick to deliver
- Love to discuss design and to hear input from others - everyone will have an opinion…
- Ability to think, design, quickly iterate, prototype, document and express your ideas in electronic form
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects
- Good communication skills in English
- Previous experience of working in VR or MR is a plus (using Unity or Unreal Engine)
- Previous experience of working with UI framework design is a plus
- Capabilities for creating visual solutions that back up your design is a plus
- Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in mixed reality experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best - the coolest team in Finland
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects - wow us!
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to namedrop names.
Please include URLs for an online portfolio in addition to resume. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.