Quality Assurance Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Redefining how we think about and experience computers in the future is quite a journey in software creation. An activity at the core of that journey is testing software that supports our iterative development approach. Our world-class developers, HW innovators and designers are not able to do their magic if we don’t do magic also in testing our software every day.
Your job within the manual QA team will be to design, specify and run test procedures and test cases which give continuous feedback to your developer colleagues. At Varjo we approach testing and quality assurance with a unique mix of automation, telemetry, manual and user-based testing where manual testing is one of the core pillars. You must be passionate about building software in the right way and doing smart testing as a part of a larger engineering team. We expect you to sit down and write test cases, spend hours debating how we should test our software and then continuously support the execution of test plans as part of our iterative development process. Our developers are a collection of world-class talent, and we want you to aim for the same level in your line of work.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland, with possibility of hybrid work. If you are coming from abroad, we will gladly support relocating to the capital of the world's happiest country.
- Design and execution of manual test activities as part of our Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality software development. Work with developers and design colleagues to define what, how and when we test and write those tests.
- Be involved in testing of both hardware products and software integrations throughout entire product lifecycles.
- Identifying and reporting bugs in clear and concise way to development, reproducing issue identified in the field and increasing our test coverage to catch those in the future.
- Drive a culture of quality software creation and data-centric thinking where continuous integration and testing is an activity that eases the everyday life of our development teams.
- Act as an intermediary between development teams, test teams and design teams to reinforce continual delivery of quality products and support the software releasing process.
- There is no micromanaging, you need to be self-driven and you keep your eye on the ball, finding opportunities for improving quality assurance and testing by analyzing test results, bug reports and design specifications.
- Hands-on experience of designing test cases and running test procedures as part of complex software development. The more complex the system the better, amaze us!
- Worked with product specifications and designers to translate intended behaviour into test cases, and creating tests that will catch regressions.
- Proven track record of shipping software and being a key individual in product delivery.
- Proactive team player with ability to perform in cross functional teams.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
Nice to have
- Experience working with Software as a Service and cloud computing.
- Hands on experience working with AWS.
- Experience working with offshore test teams.
- Previous experience in working with/enthusiasm for virtual reality and mixed reality systems.
- History of working with graphics focused R&D or 3D engines such as Unreal or Unity, or other relevant industry such as consumer electronics.
- ISTQB Foundation or higher qualification.
- Degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics) is preferred.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects – wow us.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply. Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we would love to hear from you.
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to drop their names in your application.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.