Senior Visual and Motion Designer
Are you skilled in interaction design, motion graphics, and visual branding? Do you want to use your creative skills to develop interactive user interfaces for mixed and virtual reality? If this sounds like you, we’d love to chat.
We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
As our Senior Visual and Motion Designer, you will work on interactive 3D user interfaces, motion graphics and visual guidelines across all Varjo software and services. You’ll be responsible for 3D and motion design for Varjo’s platform UIs, including first-time setup flows and tutorials, immersive UI controls, and other UI frameworks and functionality that support our users to navigate and control their immersive setups. Your designs will span across multiple screen types and sizes from immersive 3D user interfaces to 2D UIs for desktop, mobile, and web. You’ll design organic, interactive, and responsive user interfaces that align with Varjo’s brand and look-and-feel, with a goal to develop and maintain a consistent and high-quality visual style across all Varjo UIs.
You will work on your design projects from start to finish, covering the whole product lifecycle from concept to detailed design and asset production. You’ll work closely with our design team colleagues and engineering teams to develop and polish the detailed implementation. You will also frequently collaborate with our marketing team for topics relating to common brand style and assets. We hope you’re a proven expert in delivering product-quality designs and assets in time and with high quality, and that you are comfortable with working on multiple fast-paced projects at the same time.
What you’ll be doing
- Create and explore 3D and 2D visual designs, motion graphics, and UI transitions from concept to production across Varjo’s software including immersive in-headset user interfaces, desktop and mobile applications, and web UIs.
- Present your concept ideas, design alternatives, and prototypes, gather feedback, and iterate the design further.
- Prototype and detail your designs in Unity and Unreal Engine, work with shaders and lighting, and optimize the runtime performance of your graphics.
- Deliver pixel-perfect hi-fidelity design assets to front-end development, and work with the engineering teams to ensure that the designs are implemented correctly.
- Develop and maintain a coherent visual UI style guide for Varjo software and services, keeping an eye out for high-quality brand look-and-feel and consistency.
- Relevant professional and creative experience of visual and motion design from concept to production.
- Proficiency with creating 3D designs, textures, motion, and animations.
- Proficiency with relevant 3D software such as Maya or Cinema 4D.
- Experience of visual branding, UI style guides, and UI component toolkits.
- Capability to work with Unity and Unreal Engine, or willingness to learn more.
- Artistic skills with an eye for good design – typography, color theory, a sense of style and polish – you know what is both functional and what looks good.
- Capability to work efficiently as a team and deliver results in a fast-paced R&D environment.
- Fluent language skills in English.
By joining us, you’ll get:
- Opportunity to take part in creating the new state-of-the-art in virtual and mixed reality experiences.
- A low-hierarchy culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work.
- Flexible working conditions
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- An international working environment with tons of opportunities to learn and grow with the company.
Ready to jump into the exciting world of VR and XR? Apply now. Please include your CV, portfolio, and a cover letter to let us know why you are interested in this position.
Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we’d love to hear from you.
This position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Varjo is a Finnish metaverse technology company. We are known for mixed reality that looks and feels just as real as the real world. Founded in 2016, Varjo is doing business in more than 40 countries worldwide, with offices in Helsinki, Oslo, and Washington D.C. And the resolution revolution has only just begun.
Our in-house R&D team designs and develops hardware, software, and services that are now a symbol of the highest quality across the industry. Varjo’s VR and XR solutions are already being used to train astronauts, design vehicles, and many more professional use cases across the world’s leading companies. Since recently, we’ve also been setting new standards for prosumers looking for true-to-life virtual simulations. Next, we are about to bring to life our vision for the metaverse of the future. The programmable world that once existed only behind our screens will merge with our physical surroundings, and it will forever change the choreography of our everyday life.
Our multicultural team consists of talents from all around the world, and our daily working language is English. We believe in the power of diversity – where different experiences, backgrounds, and ideas drive innovation and results.