Lead Product Designer, Teleport
Are you interested in the possibilities of mixed reality for businesses and consumers worldwide? Do you have experience of designing new service concepts and know what it takes to bring them to market? If this sounds like you, we’d like to chat.
We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
As the Lead Product Designer for Varjo Teleport, you will be responsible of the design of the teleportation platform and service. In your role, you will take the lead of the design strategy and end-to-end user experience for the service. You’ll work hands-on through the full lifecycle of the service from initial concept creation to production and coordinate the design activities at each stage of the project: analyze the customer needs and use cases, scope the detailed feature set, and tailor the design solutions to fit to the needs and context of the target audience. Your goal is to ensure and deliver a high-quality product experience and keep a high bar in our attempts to build services that are easy to use and understand.
You will be joining as part of our Design and Research team where you’ll work as the first point of contact for all design related matters concerning the teleport service. You will work tightly in a multi-disciplinary setup together with the product managers and engineers. We expect that you are interested in exploring the opportunities around the new tech and enjoy the opportunity to dive into the deep end of computer vision and mixed reality.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead the design activities for creating and developing the teleport service
- Create UX concepts, map the user journeys, and design the user interfaces
- Design for multimodal user interactions: speech & audio, physical control devices, hand and full-body interactions, virtual reality and 2D screens
- Work tightly together with product management and contribute to the overall product story, service strategy, and feature scoping
- Work hands-on with the engineering teams to experiment, prototype, and productize the solutions, and optimize the user experience and usability around the technical possibilities and limitations.
- Work together with our user researchers to organize concept studies and UX testing with our customers and partners. Use the research insights to inform and influence the project strategy and feature development, and iterate your design approach further.
- Create the necessary design documentation – right level of detail at each project phase.
- Prior experience of complex design projects for software services where you have worked from concept to release. You hold a strong palette of design methodologies and know how to choose the most appropriate design approach for each stage of the product lifecycle.
- Experience of strategic UX design, interaction design, and user interface design
- Willingness and patience to work hands-on and follow through the initial concept creation and ideation all the way to perfecting your designs iteratively from release to release.
- Capability to work efficiently as a team and deliver results in a fast-paced R&D environment
- BSc or BA in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer science, or a related field, or other relevant experience.
- Fluent expression in English both spoken and written.
By joining us, you’ll get:
- Opportunity to take part in creating the new state-of-the-art in virtual and mixed reality experiences.
- A low-hierarchy culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work.
- Flexible working conditions
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- An international working environment with tons of opportunities to learn and grow with the company.
This is a full-time position in Design and Research team. You can work from our offices in Helsinki or Oslo, and we are also able to support remote work options from any city in Finland, Norway, or Germany.
Ready to jump into the exciting world of VR and XR? Apply now. Please include your CV, portfolio, and a cover letter to let us know why you are interested in this position.
Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we’d love to hear from you.
This position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Varjo is a Finnish metaverse technology company. We are known for mixed reality that looks and feels just as real as the real world. Founded in 2016, Varjo is doing business in more than 40 countries worldwide, with offices in Helsinki, Oslo, and Washington D.C. And the resolution revolution has only just begun.
Our in-house R&D team designs and develops hardware, software, and services that are now a symbol of the highest quality across the industry. Varjo’s VR and XR solutions are already being used to train astronauts, design vehicles, and many more professional use cases across the world’s leading companies. Since recently, we’ve also been setting new standards for prosumers looking for true-to-life virtual simulations. Next, we are about to bring to life our vision for the metaverse of the future. The programmable world that once existed only behind our screens will merge with our physical surroundings, and it will forever change the choreography of our everyday life.
Our multicultural team consists of talents from all around the world, and our daily working language is English. We believe in the power of diversity – where different experiences, backgrounds, and ideas drive innovation and results