Principal/Senior Audio & Acoustics Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware, software and services to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality through immersion of both vision and audio.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Redefining computing relies on us creating hardware and software and services that seamlessly merge virtual, mixed and traditional reality while designing and developing completely new ways of using cameras, audio solutions, complex imaging pipelines and unique algorithms to create that illusion.
As a Principal/Senior Audio and Acoustics Engineer you will be working with our larger product R&D team with a focus on acting as audio designer in projects, designing, building and ultimately shipping one of the many Varjo products. Your days will be spent in solving anything ranging from audio concept and product design to how are we able to mass manufacture and ensure high quality solutions for our customers
As an individual you bring with you a strong background in a wide variety of audio and product acoustics and DSP development projects and have a history of acting as (principal/senior) audio engineer and successful delivery of projects. Your approach to work is both systematic but solution and problem solving oriented where you value getting things done and ready to the end. Deep knowledge about materials, simulations, integration and suppliers as well as manufacturing is highly valued. Depending on your background your tasks will be varying from acoustics design to audio codec/DSP development to supplier selection and co-operation.
- Responsibility of defining audio acoustical concept including microphones, speakers, audio codec and related DSP solutions.
- Accountability for engineering decisions on acoustics and audio that are architecturally sound and possible to implement and verify for mass manufacturing.
- Participate to programs from program start to shipment and maintenance.
- Drive activities that ensure both schedule and quality of the overall product program.
- Manage and work with suppliers, component vendors and contractors to create audio designs for our products.
- History of working as an audio, acoustics, and/or audio DSP engineer in product development projects, preferably with products having active noise cancelling, stereo/binaural/spatial audio capture and high quality audio output.
- Good team working capabilities and English communication skills.
- Capability of doing audio tunings for products having speakers.
- Understanding of how to solve noise cancellation problems within a device having cooling fans and motors.
Nice to have
- Experience of solving problems on audio speech capture on headphones and speakers, like acoustics design, managing echo cancellation, frequency tunings and equalisation, noise reduction, beam-forming.
- Experience of working with speaker phone design, line multi microphones beam-forming, echo cancellation paths, noise reduction, binaural and full spatial audio capture and omnidirectional speakers.
- Capability to prioritise own work between multiple conflicting needs.
- Experience of working in iterative development. This can mean lean, Scrum, Kanban or any other flavour. The key thing is that you believe in iterative development
- Knowledge in audio component selection and capability to guide proper electromechanical integration on product concept.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with colleagues that aspire to do world changing things.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki