Senior 3D Visual Designer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like they do right now.
You will join our team as senior visual designer for Varjo mixed reality software and services. In your daily work you will have a strong contribution to Varjo’s visual digital identity. You will work on user interactions, UI design, and look-and-feel of Varjo experiences. Your work ranges from exploring high-level visual concepts to detailed design of pixel-perfect assets, UI components, and motion and animation designs across all Varjo’s software and services. You are capable of prototyping your designs in Unity and Unreal, and enjoy polishing the detailed implementation hands-on together with our front-end developers.
This is a full-time position in Design & Research team. Your workplace can be either in our offices in Helsinki, Finland or Oslo, Norway. We are flexible with working arrangements, and the work can be done partially from anywhere in Finland or Norway. Our multicultural team consists of talents from all around the world, and our daily working language is English. We welcome applications from various backgrounds.
- Work hands-on, creating 3D visual designs, including user interfaces, graphics, materials, interactions, motion, animations and transitions, from concept to production.
- Deliver pixel-perfect hi-fidelity designs to front-end development, working with the software team to ensure that the designs are implemented correctly.
- Work towards creating a coherent visual design style for Varjo, keeping an eye out for consistency.
- Explore concepts, solutions and user experience alternatives, create quick sketches and prototypes of your ideas.
- Present your ideas to your peers and stakeholders, gather feedback, and iterate the design further.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional and creative experience with a proven track record of shipped and successful projects.
- Proficiency with creating 3D designs, content, interactions, and prototypes with Unity and Unreal Engine. Experience of other modeling tools (e.g. Maya, Cinema 4D, or Blender) is an advantage.
- Experience of UX design and/or user interface design.
- An eye for good design, typography, motion graphics, color theory, a sense of style and polish, a refined taste – you know what is both functional and what looks good.
- Ability to design, prototype, and quickly express your ideas.
- Creative thinking to work around technical challenges and limitations of new technology.
- Language requirements: Our daily working language is English – you should be fluent and confident in expressing yourself in English both in writing and spoken. Finnish language skills useful but not mandatory.
- The opportunity to take part in creating the new state of art in virtual reality and mixed reality experiences.
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary, and premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits.
Are you the person we are looking for? Ready to join? Apply now.
Please include a portfolio showcasing work you are especially proud of, with details on what you did in those projects. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.