Embedded Computer Vision Developer, Depth Sensing
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it. When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Varjo is building the highest-end Mixed Reality HMDs in the world. What separates a MR HMD from an ordinary virtual reality HMD is its capability of understanding the real world around it. The two most important aspects of this are acquiring RGB and depth images of the environment, which describe how the real world looks like and what its geometry is. We are looking for an Embedded Computer Vision Developer to help us tackle the depth estimation part of this puzzle.
You are the ideal candidate because you have worked with embedded or mobile platforms and implemented real-time computer vision algorithms on them. You are familiar with active depth sensors such as time-of-flight (ToF) sensors, and know how their data is best fused with color cameras. You have also worked on either classical or machine learning based segmentation algorithms that detect the shape of objects in the scene, such as hands. You know there's only so much compute resources available in CPUs for these compute-hungry tasks, and therefore have successfully tamed DSPs, GPUs and DLAs for this purpose.
In this role you will be mainly working on resource-constrained ARM-based Linux environments so you will have a chance to apply industry standard optimisations as well as develop new ones to squeeze the last bit of performance out of the available computational resources. As the computational resources are scarce you will be working in close collaboration with other software and hardware teams to make sure everybody gets their fair share.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Even though our office is in Helsinki, you can do your work mostly remotely in Finland. There is the occasional need to come to the office to evaluate various hardware, but apart from that you are free to choose where you work.
If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Research, implement, and optimise RGBD sensor fusion and depth upscaling algorithms on mobile SoCs' GPUs.
- Build low-latency high-performance computer vision pipelines that cross SoC boundaries.
- Create code that is elegant and maintainable. It really ships to users.
- Take accountability for solutions that are modular and testable. Have pride for building unit and regression testing to prove that your code and solutions truly work.
- Work closely with hardware and other software engineering teams on tech selections and solutions.
- When necessary debug, optimise, and aspire to make things pixel-perfect. Be willing to spend time in making things truly amazing, not just great.
- Experience in mixed CPU, GPU, DSP, and CNN accelerator data pipelines
- Familiarity with mobile-friendly NN topics, such as TinyML and Edge-AI
- Experience with active depth sensors and stereo RGB embedded systems
- Experience in writing userspace software for embedded or mobile ARM Linux
- Familiar with real-time camera processing
- Fluent in modern C++ with over 4 years of experience as primary CPU language
- You speak GPU. CUDA, OpenCL, compute shaders, or relevant GPGPU language
- Track record of shipping working code and solutions based on your contributions
- Team player, ability to perform in cross functional teams, and to share knowledge to others
- Good communication skills in English
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in mixed reality experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary and reward plan to share the success
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found. Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.