Ergonomics & Usability Specialist
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it. When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
You will join us as a full-time ergonomics and usability specialist. You work tightly together with a multi-disciplinary group of designers, product managers, and software and hardware engineers to define, design, and develop our hardware products and software services. You will work both in the fields of hardware ergonomics and software user experiences, and your research covers the full product lifecycle from early concept testing and customer needs-finding to detailed design validations, usability testing, and in-market product feedback. Your research helps the whole company to learn from the end users and serves as essential input for product design and feature planning.
You have prior experience and skills in qualitative user research. You have an analytical mindset, and you are creative in applying different research methods at different stages of the product development. You are at your best in hands-on research work, interviewing people, and organising research studies and workshops. You also have skills in presenting your research findings and conclusions in an understandable and engaging manner, and you follow-up on your projects regularly to plan further actions and research.
This is a full-time position in Design & Research team in Helsinki, Finland. We are flexible with working arrangements, and depending on your personal preferences, you will be able to do part of your work also from home or elsewhere in Finland.
- Organise user research studies, including but not limited to: lab usability studies and evaluations, ergonomics tests and evaluations, interviews, workshops, and surveys.
- Document and present the research insights, conclusions and recommendations based on the fieldwork and analysis.
- Work alongside our R&D organisation, identifying ways to bring user data into the product development, and influencing decisions about what kinds of products and services we build.
- Relevant work experience in user testing, ergonomics research, and/or design research.
- BSc, MSc, BA, or MA in Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Psychology, or a related field.
- Good knowledge of qualitative research methods and hands-on experience in using them.
- Understanding of human factors and ergonomics, and ability to consider them as essential part of user experience of wearable devices.
- Language skills: fluent Finnish and English both spoken and written. While our daily working language is English, your role includes conducting interviews and user tests both in Finnish and English. You will need to master both languages to succeed in this role.
- Curiosity and capability to work with new technologies and early technology prototypes.
- In addition, skills or interest in developing further in any of the following areas is an advantage:
- Design & research for virtual reality experiences
- Design & research for wearable devices
- Design & research for multi-modal user interfaces: speech & audio, haptic interfaces, hand and body interactions, eye tracking.
- The opportunity to take part in creating the future vision of Varjo’s mixed reality products and services.
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
Ready to join? Apply now.
Please craft your application carefully and make sure to include all the following documents:
- CV detailing your experience and skills relevant to this position
- Cover letter – let us know what motivates you and why you would be the perfect match for our growing team.
- Link to a portfolio showcasing your prior work. Tell us what you’ve done before, and what are the projects you are especially proud of. We are interested in hearing what was your own contribution to those projects – how did you work, what were the key deliverables and your impact on the projects.
Applications without a portfolio and cover letter will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.