Color scientist / Color calibration developer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality. We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Varjo is known for the HMDs that produce world-class visual quality and mind-blowing VR experiences. We are now looking for a talented individual who can help us deliver the state of the art color quality in our HMDs now and in the future.
In short, your job is to devise algorithms for color calibration and make sure the overall color quality of Varjo HMDs is top notch. This includes areas such as calibration of multiple displays inside HMD to the same unified standard, simulation of the HMD visual path to estimate color quality for potential new hardware, or building tools to assesses the quality of the hardware from colorimetric perspective.
In this role you will be working closely with HW teams – display and optics mainly – all the way from the initial plans and designs to final production. Your job will be to ensure that HW provides the necessary building blocks to make for the best HMD color-wise, and support production to manufacture each HMD with the best possible quality.
Your previous experience can be from offline rendering world, calibration of some other device types (such as phone displays), or any other relevant area in the visual domain where you have employed your math/algorithm skills to solve problems (numerically).
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki – you need to access various HW setups at the office regularly in this role (for example, cameras that capture images through the headset). However, you are free to work remotely when possible. We support you in being productive in the way that is best suited for you.
If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Implement color calibration and quality-related algorithms as part of the Varjo visuals team for optimal HMD color quality. Work with the real-time rendering team to take all necessary software-side corrections into use.
- Evaluate color quality and overall image fidelity from the color perspective (contrast, color reproduction accuracy, and similar). Maintain high standards internally for color-related processes and be the technical leader on color areas.
- Take part into design process of new hardware, and provide your valuable input for decisions that might affect the color quality of our products. Understand the whole process of how visuals are produced from displays through optics to human eye to make the best decisions here.
- Take part into factory production process by being a key contributor and responsible for the color calibration part of the visual production tooling.
- Design new measurement setups with relevant HW teams to ensure we can capture all key aspects of the HMD color quality from real hardware.
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Expert understanding of color science, relevant physics, and the human vision system.
- Ability to act as a technical leader inside Varjo for color-related topics.
- Strong math and algorithm design skills. Experience with numerical optimization, regression, and overall problem solving in numerical domain.
- Proven programming skills and multiple years of experience working with Python/Matlab/similar language for solving problems in the color domain or related area.
- Team player and capability to work with cross-functional teams.
Nice to have
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering) is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of display device technologies and optics.
- Understanding of various offline rendering techniques. Varjo relies on various optical simulation setups for development.
- Any experience with various color measurement setups (colorimeters / spectrometers) is a big plus.
- Any real-time/offline rendering experience is a big plus (such as ability to write shader
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply. Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we would love to hear from you.