Teleport Engineer, Depth Sensing
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
It all starts with a device capable of imaging its environment. What follows is processing the various sensor data into understanding of the environment, which is the point where you step in. But we are not done before the understanding is further transformed into a format that empowers applications, and shared across the world. You can learn more about our vision and what we are doing right now at https://varjo.com/blog/varjo-reality-cloud/
We at Varjo are looking for a Teleport Engineer to join the team and start doing your magic with computer vision. Teleport is about digitizing the real world through camera-based capture devices such as Varjo's XR-3s, fusing views from multiple capture devices in a centralized model, and finally serving this model to viewing applications to allow very high-quality rendering of physical locations remotely. The visual fidelity of Teleportation is eventually limited by the quality of the input data, and we want you to pimp our depth maps to the max!
This challenge doesn't scare you, as you are familiar with active depth sensors - such as time-of-flight sensors - and know exactly how they are best used together with stereo RGB cameras to create state-of-the-art depth results. You also know when and where to throw machine learning and neural nets into the mix.
You know that with infinite compute resources infinitely good results can be achieved, and that the real trick is to implement algorithms that run at real-time frame rates. You are familiar with implementing your algorithms using GPGPU, and take pride in knowing they don't waste a single cycle while they churn through data hundreds of megapixels per second.
You are acutely aware of recent developments in research and industry, and can shift your focus to stay ahead of the curve. You are comfortable taking the lead in your domain and coming up with research avenues and solutions that support Teleport technology as a whole. The engineers and designers you will be working with are world class in their own domain, we want you to aspire for the same.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Even though our office is in Helsinki, you can do your work mostly remotely in Finland. There is the occasional need to come to the office to evaluate various hardware, but apart from that you are free to choose where you work.
If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Research, develop, implement and optimize algorithms and software solutions to solve complex computational vision and depth estimation problems
- Create code that is elegant and maintainable. It really ships to users.
- Take accountability for solutions that are modular and testable. Have pride for building unit and regression testing to prove that your code and solutions truly work.
- Work closely with hardware and other software engineering teams on tech selections and solutions.
- When necessary debug, optimize and aspire to make things pixel-perfect. Be willing to spend time in making things truly amazing, not just great.
- Hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas: RGB-D 3D reconstruction, active depth sensors, multi-view stereo, photogrammetry, high-performance and low-latency computer vision pipelines
- Fluent in C/C++ with over 4 years of experience as primary CPU language
- You speak GPU. CUDA, OpenCL, compute shaders, or relevant GPGPU language
- Track record of shipping working code and solutions based on your contributions
- Team player, ability to perform in cross functional teams and to share knowledge to others
- Good communication skills in English
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in mixed reality experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary and reward plan to share the success
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found. Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply.