Senior 3D Graphics & Rendering Developer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Fulfilling our vision of immersive computing relies on us creating products that deliver immersive visual fidelity and performance never seen before. In reality, it means we will be working a lot with the rendering performance, visual quality and the infrastructure of Windows and GPU providers to make that happen.
Your job will be to help us deliver state-of-the-art graphics performance and visual quality in VR. You will nail it with a rigorous and passionate approach to writing rendering capabilities using the core APIs of the Windows platform (such as DirectX), and relentlessly optimizing performance, debugging, tracing and doing all the magical things only a world-class talent can do. You are natural at designing and implementing new rendering algorithms and can transform theory and research into optimized implementations.
As an individual, you obviously need to want to solve nearly impossible problems and be a team player who wants to work with other world-class software developers and HW engineers.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki but you are free to work remotely as much as you want. This can be a few days a week or 100% remote. We support you in being productive in the way that is best suited for you.
If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Windows side graphics and rendering pipeline development. You need to be able to make things excellent using standard graphics technologies such as DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan (and related shading languages) and be the expert for us.
- Development of rendering algorithms for typical or new and unique Virtual Reality engineering challenges (for example, foveated rendering, timewarp/spacewarp).
- Be accountable for creating, debugging, tracing, optimizing and shipping core parts of our rendering & compositing pipeline (both CPU and GPU side).
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Fluent in C/C++ with multiple years of development experience as primary development language and several large scale projects shipped.
- Expertise in working with at least one core graphics API (DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan). Track record of shipping high performance products using these core technologies.
- Proven skills of shipping graphics/rendering pipeline code in either graphics heavy R&D such as game engine development, offline rendering or consumer electronics products.
- Strong math skills (especially around graphics, i.e. linear algebra and related fields).
- Knack to find creative and innovative solutions and the persistence to polish them to perfection.
- Team player, ability to perform in cross-functional teams and to share knowledge with others.
- Our company language is English - thus good communication skills in English are required. Don't need to know a word of Finnish though.
Nice to have
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics) is preferred.
- Experience with Python.
- Knowledge of GPU offerings such as Nvidia VRWorks is a plus. This will come in handy when we work to reduce frame rate and latency for our whole system.
- Previous experience working on building a game engine is a huge plus as then you have worked on similar rendering pipeline challenges you will work on at Varjo.
- Previous experience of working with virtual or augmented reality solutions is a plus.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects – wow us.
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to drop their names in your message.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply. Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we would love to hear from you.