Varjo XR-1 Becomes the First Mixed Reality Device Supported by Autodesk VRED
Autodesk VRED, the world’s leading automotive design software, has released native support for Varjo XR-1 Developer Edition. Available with the latest VRED 2021.1 Pro and Design licenses, the Varjo mixed reality support introduces a new gold standard for creativity and immersive collaboration.
September 23, 2020 – Varjo XR-1 Developer Edition has become the first mixed reality device supported by Autodesk VRED, the leading automotive design software. The 3D visualization software is the most popular tool worldwide for designers and engineers for creating product presentations, design reviews, and virtual prototypes.
With the newly released support for Varjo’s mixed reality, Autodesk VRED users can now experience and evaluate photorealistic virtual prototypes in the context of the real-world.
“Designers can now compare digital and physical prototypes side by side and communicate with each other intuitively and reliably during remote design reviews. This is an industry-first milestone, enhancing creativity, enabling faster prototyping and allowing collaborative design reviews from anywhere in the planet,” says Urho Konttori, Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer of Varjo.
“Combining Varjo with VRED, our customers can achieve an unprecedented level of detail and realism when reviewing their digital prototypes in XR,” says Lukas Fäth, Product Manager Autodesk VRED. “It can become a multi-million-dollar problem if a designer or engineer doesn’t spot a problem in the digital evaluation phase. With VRED’s highest accuracy in design quality and the photorealism of the Varjo XR-1, designers can identify problems and make iterations sooner than before.”
Push the boundaries of creativity and collaborate from anywhere in the world
The key benefits of Varjo XR-1 Developer Edition used together with Autodesk VRED include:
- Natural workflows in the real-world context. With the Varjo XR-1 low-latency video pass-through technology, designers can work with their colleagues in the physical design space that they’re used to, with the design tools they’re already familiar with.
- Full-scale digital models. Designers can collaborate on photorealistic, real-scale virtual car models while seeing their hands and full body.
- No holograms, no limited FOV. Immersive full field-of-view mixed reality experiences allow dialogue, immediate feedback, and more effective reviews.
- Merge physical and digital. Designers can review virtual car models next to physical ones; or take a physical clay model and overlay parts of it with virtual data.
- Effective remote collaboration. With VRED and the Varjo XR-1, designers can now collaborate on the same photorealistic models from wherever they’re based around the world. They can discuss design details like textures, materials, and nuances of grains and fabrics and trust that everything from the smallest details to the full-scale appearance of the car looks correct.