Welcome to Unreal
This page describes how you can set up and use the Unreal development environment for the Varjo VR-1. Please make sure you have read Difference between SteamVR™ and Varjo Base before beginning development.
To be able to set-up the Unreal environment you need the following setup:
- Make sure your computer meets system requirements
- Varjo software
- SteamVR installation
- Unreal Engine 4.21 or later
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 (make sure you have latest available version)
- Varjo VR-1 headset (optional)
This section will guide you through getting the Unreal set up and the first example scene running in the VR-1.
Have SteamVR and Unreal Engine 4.21 or later installed.
- Install Varjo software
- Choose between using Varjo Unreal Plugin and Varjo Unreal Engine
- Develop your project
There are multiple development options you could pick from:
- Create a new project or port an existing one
- Setup Unreal Studio for new project, if you chose Plugin over Engine development.
Use examples to learn how to use all the features of VR-1. Examples can be downloaded from our GitHub repository. Examples cover controller usage, headset button access, and eye tracking and are explained on Unreal Examples page.
- Polish your project
Performance and Visual Quality page describes performance and visual quality adjustments that are useful when creating Unreal projects especially for your Varjo headset.
- Package your project
Packaging Unreal project page has instructions for packaging the application you have developed.
Developing without the VR-1 headset
On the Developing without VR-1 page you can find information on how to test your build without the VR-1 headset.