At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it. When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
With Varjo Reality Cloud and our unique take on teleport, anybody will be able to capture their surroundings in 3D and then invite somebody else to join that same reality, see and hear others, and share their experience. Instead of jumping on a plane, you will be able to teleport to any location and back instantly, making your actual physical location completely irrelevant. Read more about our vision, and picture yourself in creating this. Is this enough to get you interested already? https://varjo.com/blog/varjo-reality-cloud/
We are looking for a user experience designer to join us in this exciting challenge. You will work together with a multi-disciplinary group of designers, product managers, and engineers to define, design, and develop our services. While your role doesn’t require coding, we expect you to be excited and interested in learning and exploring the new tech – this role will throw you to the deep end of computer vision and virtual reality, doing things never done before! You will find yourself often discussing and debating the technical opportunities and constraints for the new features we are creating. Your core task is to make sense of this all, turn it into tangible user stories, journeys, and user interfaces, and to keep a high bar in our efforts to create engaging, usable, and high-quality user experiences.
You have prior experience in designing digital services and human-computer interactions. You are curious and love experimenting, sharing ideas rapidly, and improving your work based on feedback. Most importantly, you have the patience and passion to follow through the initial concept creation and ideation all the way to perfecting your designs hands-on with the engineers. You know that the quality is made at each step of the process, and the small details of execution will either make or break the original concept.
This is a full-time position in Design & Research team in Helsinki, Finland. Our multicultural team consists of talents from all around the world, and our daily working language is English. We welcome applications from various backgrounds.
- Design the user experiences and services for Varjo mixed reality headsets and Varjo Reality Cloud.
- Create UX concepts, map the user journeys, and share your thinking with others in form of storyboards, concept sketches, wireframes, and click-through prototypes.
- Work directly with the software teams making sure that your designs work in their planned context.
- Create and maintain the necessary design documentation – right level of detail at each project phase.
- Organize and participate in customer research, interviews, and site visits to identify end user needs and expectations, and use the research insights to iterate and improve the designs further.
- Influence design decisions made in the projects, and actively work as the advocate of the end-user needs and user experience in the whole R&D organization.
- BSc, MSc, BA, or MA in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer science, or a related field.
- Prior experience in complex UX design projects where you have worked on the project all the way from concept to shipping.
- Experience in design workshop facilitation, design concept creation, interaction design, and user interface design.
- Willingness and patience to follow the original design concepts to implementation and iterative improvements from release to release. We are a small team, and all our designers work also on wireframing and design execution, not just high-level UX concepts.
- Fluent expression in English both spoken and written. Finnish language skills not required but useful.
- In addition, skills or interest in developing further as a design professional in any of the following areas is an advantage:
- Designing for 3D and virtual reality experiences.
- Designing collaboration services or tools.
- Designing for multimodal user interfaces: speech & audio, haptic interfaces, hand and body interactions.
- Business design and service concept creation.
- Design research or usability testing.
- The opportunity to take part in creating the future vision of Varjo’s mixed reality products and services.
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary.
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits.
Ready to join? Apply now.
Please craft your application carefully and make sure to include all the following documents:
- CV detailing your experience and skills relevant to this position
- Cover letter – let us know what motivates you and why you would be the perfect match for our growing team.
- Link to a portfolio showcasing your prior work. Tell us what you’ve done before, and what are the projects you are especially proud of. We are interested in hearing what was your own contribution to those projects – how did you work, what were the key deliverables and your impact on the projects.
Applications without a portfolio and cover letter will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.