(Senior) Product Designer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
You will work closely with our team of designers and researchers, hardware and software engineers, and product owners to solve key challenges in user experience, technology, and design. You are the go-to person when we need to turn complex technical concepts into simple and understandable user stories. You bring the end-user focus and needs in the center of feature planning and product development, and work on spreading the design thinking into our R&D organization.
You understand that designing for good user experience requires talking to the end users, and you know how to turn end-user insights into UX requirements and UX designs. You are curious and love experimenting, sharing ideas rapidly, and improving on your work based on user feedback. Moreover, you have the patience and passion to follow through the initial concept creation and ideation all the way to perfecting your designs hands-on with the engineers.
This is a full-time position in the Design and Research team. Right now, we are working more or less remotely, but once things get back to normal, your workplace will be in our headquarters in Helsinki, Finland. We are flexible with working arrangements and willing to discuss options for remote work or commuting from other cities in Finland. However, tasks related to research and prototyping will require hands-on work at site in our offices from time to time.
- Design the user journeys and user experiences across all Varjo’s software and hardware products and services.
- Explore user experience concepts, create quick sketches, prototypes, and user flows to communicate and share your ideas.
- Create and maintain the necessary design documentation to communicate and share the design: UI wireframes, click-through prototypes, flowcharts, and state diagrams.
- Present your ideas to your peers and stakeholders, gather feedback and iterate the designs further.
- Organize and participate hands-on in user research to test concept ideas and detailed designs, and use the feedback from users to iterate the designs further.
- Work with the software teams to make sure that the designs work in their planned context and are implemented to the highest quality.
- Work alongside our R&D organization and product management to identify opportunities for meaningful and differentiating product and service offering.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional and creative experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Proficiency with relevant industry standard software on Windows environment – including Adobe XD, Illustrator, and MS Office.
- Prior work experience of user experience design, interaction design, and user interface design.
- Hands-on experience of designing and delivering products or services end-to-end from concept to market.
- Knowledge of user research, usability testing, and qualitative and quantitative design research methods.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects.
- Language requirements: Our daily working language is English – you should be fluent and confident in expressing yourself in English both in writing and spoken. Finnish language skills are useful but not mandatory.
In addition, any of the following skills are considered an advantage while not a requirement:
- Experience of designing for 3D.
- Experience of business design and service concept development.
- Previous experience of working with UI framework design.
- Skills in visual storytelling, storyboarding, and concept illustrations.
- The opportunity to take part in creating the future vision of Varjo’s mixed reality products and services.
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work.
- Work with the best, learn from the best.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country.
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits.
- Office located in the middle of downtown Helsinki.
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
Please include a portfolio showcasing work you are especially proud of, with details on what you did in those projects. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training, and experience are encouraged to apply.
For more information about the role, contact Anna Nilsson / Head of Design and Research, email@example.com, from March 29 to April 1, or April 14 onwards.