Senior 3D Graphics & Rendering Developer
At Varjo we create hardware and software to fulfil our vision of immersive computing. Our virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
Fulfilling our vision of immersive computing relies on us creating products that deliver immersive visual fidelity and performance never seen before. In reality, it means we will be working a lot with the rendering performance, visual quality and the infrastructure of Windows and GPU providers to make that happen.
Your job will be to help us deliver state-of-the-art graphics performance and rendering behaviour in VR. You will nail it with a rigorous and passionate approach to writing rendering capabilities, using the core APIs of the Windows platform (such as DirectX), and relentlessly optimizing performance, debugging, tracing and doing all the magical things only a world-class talent can do. You will also have a chance to work on other aspects of a visual pipeline such as distortion correction, foveated rendering, colour aberration handling and everything else we dream about when thinking about the future of immersive computing.
As an individual, you obviously need to want to solve nearly impossible problems and be a team player who wants to work with other world-class software developers and HW engineers.
This is a full-time position located in Helsinki, Finland. Commuting from other cities in Finland is a possibility we can discuss and support. If you're based somewhere else at the moment, we will also gladly help with relocating to Finland and make your move to the capital of the world's happiest and cleanest country as easy as possible.
- Windows side graphics and rendering pipeline development. You need to be able to make things excellent using standard graphics technologies such as DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan and be the expert for us.
- Development of 3D rendering algorithms for typical or new and unique Virtual Reality engineering challenges.
- Be accountable for creating, debugging, tracing, optimizing and shipping core parts of our rendering & compositing pipeline.
- Design interfaces for other components and 3rd party developers to use our pipeline.
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Fluent in C/C++ with 6+ years of development experience as primary development language.
- Expertise in working with DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan and low layer graphics pipeline development on Windows 10. Track record of shipping high performance products using these core technologies.
- Knowledge of GPU offerings such as Nvidia VRWorks is a plus. This will come in handy when we work to reduce frame rate and latency for our whole system.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics) is preferred.
- Proven skills of shipping graphics/rendering pipeline code in either graphics heavy R&D such as game engine development or consumer electronics products.
- Knack to find creative and innovative solutions and the persistence to polish them to perfection.
- Team player, ability to perform in cross-functional teams and to share knowledge with others.
- Good communication skills in English.
- Previous experience of working with virtual or augmented reality solutions is a plus.
- Previous experience working on building a game engine is a huge plus as then you have worked on similar rendering pipeline challenges you will work on at Varjo.
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
Get in touch
Ready to join? Apply now.
Include your CV and a link to your LinkedIn profile. Send us details of work you are especially proud of and what you did in those projects – wow us.
If you know people who are already working for Varjo, feel free to drop their names in your message.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training and experience are encouraged to apply. Even if your profile is not a perfect match but you want to learn and grow, we would love to hear from you.